To say today is a pivotal time for the travel industry is pretty obvious. It’s like saying bacon is delicious and the Sun is hot. It’s a given, thanks to the double whammy of the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting economic devastation wrought on the travel biz.
Moving forward, some things will change and others will remain the same. Some changes will include a greater focus on environmental sustainability and thoughtful travel. One thing that will remain the same is the question most people who travel ask eventually: Do I need a travel advisor?
Travel advisors provide a bevy of important services that range from booking travel to your destination and providing advice to detailed trip itinerary development and support. What sets travel companies and travel advisors apart is the quality of service that they deliver and the prices that they charge. Better quality at a more affordable price is something everyone wants and your choice of a travel advisor should weigh both of those items very carefully. Only 46% of people trust the travel industry. This shows that the biz has work to do to improve both service and quality across the industry.
With that said, we have our top 10 list for traits that you should want in your travel advisor. It will take a bit of work on your part to find the right travel advisor for you. However, your efforts will yield an enormous payoff over time. Picking the right company and advisor will help you have more rewarding travel. Your travels will be easier, more cost-effective, and more care-free. You can focus on why you are traveling instead of the logistics. That’s incredibly important as we all work to connect with the world, its people, and its natural beauty. So, let’s go!
Travel Advisor Top 10 Traits
They should be available to you….
- Responsiveness. Find a travel advisor who actually cares about you and your travels. One measure of this is how quickly an advisor responds to your questions, emails, and phone calls. Choose someone who makes you the priority.
- Active Listener. Communication is one of the biggest pitfalls in human interactions. Therefore, it’s vital to have an advisor who not only listens to you, but truly understands your travel intentions, goals, and needs.
- Accessible. You should always have an advisor who you can access on an almost 24/7 basis. Our 9-to-5 world vanished sometime in the past. Having an advisor who you can chat with at almost anytime is still a relatively rare find.
- Experience. Having an advisor who has traveled extensively, knows the ins-and-outs of different destinations, and can find what you want is truly valuable.
They should know what they’re talking about…
- Knowledgeable. It’s easy to book travel for someone, but really knowing the industry takes study, effort, and dedication. Both breadth and depth of knowledge of an advisor will ensure you receive the best travel advice and recommendations.
- Knows how to conduct research. This trait goes along with being knowledgeable, but is different. A travel advisor should have the skills and ability to conduct research about any travel topic for you. It’s not just about having access to these resources, but knowing how to use them, study them, and synthesize them to give you the inside scoop on any travel destination in the world.
- Thorough. Find a travel advisor who doesn’t take shortcuts. It’s way too easy to make a few recommendations from online sources and be done with it. That, however, is lazy. Your advisor should take a deep dive into a topic when you need it.
They should really care…
- Personable. Your travel advisor, shall we say, shouldn’t be difficult to work with. Someone who is genuine, easy to talk with, and whom you can relate to make the entire relationship more meaningful.
- Has connections. Being a travel professional provides access to industry suppliers around the world. These will provide you with deals, sales, and specials that aren’t available to the general public. This, actually, is one of the major advantages of using a travel advisor. Advisors have access to a wide array of special deals that will save you money when you travel.
- Goes above and beyond. The gold standard for travel advisors are those who truly go above-and-beyond when helping people with their travels. This type of advisor will provide you with unexpected – and probably very much appreciated – service, information, support, and information that truly adds value to your travels.
A basic tenet of our work at Seadog Travels is to provide the best, most comprehensive, and most affordable service compared to anyone in the travel industry. We have traveled the world, we hold advanced degrees on a variety of subjects, we are worldly, and we are fun. Having a good time is a big part of travel and we are all about that! From travel planning, luxury cruises, and boat brokerage services to our exclusive tall ship and tropical island experiences, we are developing the world’s most diverse nautical travel company. And we’re just getting started.